Filing a complaint:

constructive action to highlight
a problematic situation


The right to appeal

In terms of health, the law gives you certain rights, including the right to seek recourse.

The law on health and social services clearly provides that no establishment or health professional can prevent you from filing a complaint or initiating a lawsuit if you believe that there has been professional misconduct. This means that all remedies are available to you and there are several.


You have, of course, the possibility to fill a complaint to the service quality and complaints commissioner, but you can also approach:

  • The professional order (College of Physicians, Order of Nurses, etc.);
  • A lawer (for legal remedies);
  • The Commission d’accès à l’information;
  • The Commission des droits de la personne et de la jeunesse;
  • And many others.

Each approach has its own process and for some, you will be charged a fee.

It is therefore important to be accompanied by the right people, depending on the recourse chosen.


Lucy made a request in writing to have access to her file in a public institution, but she has still not received a response

After waiting more than a month, Lucy finds the delay for an answer to be excessive. Even though the organization asks her to accept an extension, she decides to file a request for review with the Commission d'accès à l'information. Her request is under consideration.

Lee is dissatisfied with the socialworker assigned to her children's file at the Youth center

Since a new socialworker has been assigned, Lee has been accumulating relational conflicts with her and fears that this will have negative repercussions on her supervised visits. Even though she was advised that no other worker was available to take her daughter's file, Lee wishes that there be an investigation with the complaint commissioner's office in order to ensure quality monitoring, without prejudice.

If you believe a situation warrants legal action, take the time to assess your options, but never forget that it is your right!

useful links

Prévention suicide:

Ligne d’intervention auprès des personnes suicidaires ou de leurs proches.

SOS Violence conjugale: 1 800 363-9010

Service d’accueil, d’évaluation, d’information, de sensibilisation, de soutien et de référence aux victimes de violence conjugale et leurs proches.

Commission d’accès à l’information du Québec : 1 888 528-7741

Les demandes d’accès au dossier médical ne font pas partie du mandat du CAAP – Laval.

Commission des droits de la personne: 1 800 361-6477

Si vous êtes victime d’exploitation ou si vous croyez qu’un proche en subit.

Le Barreau du Québec

Ligne agression sexuelle: 1 888 933-9007

Ligne d’écoute, d’information et de référence destinée aux victimes d’agression sexuelle et leurs proches.

DIRA Laval: 450 681-8813

Service d’accueil et d’accompagnement pour les personnes de 50 ans et plus victimes d’abus, de violence ou de négligence.

Ligne Aide Abus Aînés: 1 888 489-2287

Ligne d’aide destinée aux aînés qui subissent des abus ou à leurs proches.

Ministère de la Justice