Filing a complaint:

constructive action to highlight
a problematic situation


The right to accommodation

In terms of health, the law gives you certain rights, including the right to accommodation.

The Right to accomodation?
What is that?

Before you are discharged, the hospital must ensure that you will be safe where you are going?

If you are unable to take care of yourself, for example, due to the effects of a stroke, the establishment must ensure that you will have access to the necessary services and support during your convalescence, whether they are offered by your loved ones, by home services or by an accommodation resource that can meet your needs.

The responsibility of the establishment is not, however, to make an inquiry to find out whether the services to which you will have access following your leave will be adequate or of high quality.

Therefore, it is important to be honest about your real abilities and limitations as well as the concrete help you will receive. Also, be aware that some services and hosting options come with fees.


Jane underwent surgery and her state of health does not allow her to return home without assistance

Even though her back surgery went well, Jane needs a few weeks of convalescence before regaining all her abilities. She lives alone and has no one who would be able to take care of her full time. She could count on the help of a few friends, but that would not be enough to ensure her safety. The hospital's social worker therefore looks with her at the possibilities of home support services.

After several procedures, Jane was able to return home with the support of the CLSC and her loved ones. Although some home services were associated with costs, Jane is very happy to be able to spend her convalescence at home.

If you are discharged from hospital but you have doubts about your ability to take care of yourself afterwards, say so. It's your right!

useful links

Prévention suicide:

Ligne d’intervention auprès des personnes suicidaires ou de leurs proches.

SOS Violence conjugale: 1 800 363-9010

Service d’accueil, d’évaluation, d’information, de sensibilisation, de soutien et de référence aux victimes de violence conjugale et leurs proches.

Commission d’accès à l’information du Québec : 1 888 528-7741

Les demandes d’accès au dossier médical ne font pas partie du mandat du CAAP – Laval.

Commission des droits de la personne: 1 800 361-6477

Si vous êtes victime d’exploitation ou si vous croyez qu’un proche en subit.

Le Barreau du Québec

Ligne agression sexuelle: 1 888 933-9007

Ligne d’écoute, d’information et de référence destinée aux victimes d’agression sexuelle et leurs proches.

DIRA Laval: 450 681-8813

Service d’accueil et d’accompagnement pour les personnes de 50 ans et plus victimes d’abus, de violence ou de négligence.

Ligne Aide Abus Aînés: 1 888 489-2287

Ligne d’aide destinée aux aînés qui subissent des abus ou à leurs proches.

Ministère de la Justice